Monday, October 18, 2004

Letters from Bermuda - Cheerio, Mr. Fishie

Had a fantastic day today. Did my laundry so have I have clean clothes & finished 24, walked to the bus in the pouring rain - it wasn't coming down that strong, but I was completely soaked by the time I made it to the bus stop & was there trying to wring the water out of my shirts & stuff. Went to the town of St. George's (the other of the 3 major towns (Hamilton & Dockyards being the other two) in Bermuda). Wandered around the shops & sort of figuring out the souvenier thing & had lunch & journalled (a fantastic tuna sandwich, pecan pie & a ginger beer to drink (sort of like root beer, but it tastes like ginger)). Then I wandered up to Tobacco Bay & the little beach there. It was jam packed - it's way, way smaller than horseshoe bay with about the same # of people. It was good. I pulled up a spot of sand, realized I'd forgot to pack sunscreen & so only stayed for a while - but went into the water & approached this crowd of people (5-8). Turns out this lady is tossing cheerios into the water & there are about 50 ten inch long silvery fish in the water - it was soooooo cool. They were swimming around, jumping out of the water, fighting over the cheerios. I've never been so close to fish before (Other than fishing at our dugout back home & trying to get fish off the hook) - I was a bit scared to try to touch them (and a bit worried about them looking for cheerios in my shorts), but they kind of steered clear of humans)... very, very cool. pretty amazing. Will have to go back (perhaps with more cereal).

Started wandering back after a while & talked to a couple from New York on the bus & then came back to the house to hang with Marie & her family.

The fish thing was a highlight for the day... very cool....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home