Saturday, February 18, 2006

Therapy

I really must admit just how therapeutic it is for me to do something artistic. I went down to the “Kilnary” on 14th Street tonight to start painting a ceramic mug for a friend. I’ve been down there a few times before. You buy a piece to paint & pick out your paints & then you paint it up however you want & then they fire & glaze it for you. I’ve done two pieces so far, a plate & a vase for my mom. This one will be my third.

But yeah, after the mood I’ve been in & the frustrations & sadness of the day, it was amazing to me just how good it felt to sit there & mess around with the paints & take the steps to try to bring the image in my head to life on the ‘canvas’ of a ceramic mug… It was refreshing, regenerating, life-giving activity. The sense of hopelessness, the feelings of being drained of energy, all of it just washed away & were forgotten in the middle of the creative process….

....will definitely have to do more of this (and hey, since I was the only guy in the whole place, maybe it’s a good place to meet women, too (though I’m all introverted & just stick to myself, so that probably won’t work either)).

Pictures of my Mom's vase:



1 Comments:

Blogger Charis said...

Hey kirk,
This vase is beautiful, i love the bright blue colour and the shape you chose to do. Art is truly therapy in whatever state we find ourselves in. Art always has the perfect thing to say.

March 13, 2006 at 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home