Sunday, March 26, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me....


The large majority of the major marker dates in the calendar (birthdays, new years, Christmas, easter, etc.) tend to be non-events in my life. For others, from what I hear, they’re time of great significance, of where there is clarity of moment, or something that marks a transition from one chapter to the next. For me, it doesn’t seem to work that way. ‘Important’ days become for me, well, pretty much another day.

Today, my 34th birthday was much the same thing. I awoke at, oh, 5:45 AM BC time to the noise of everyone else being up ‘cause the niece is up. My watch was still on Alberta time so I figured quarter to 7 was nearly OK time to be up, but yeah, the world had shifted to BC time. An uncle phoned with news of another uncle’s health condition & wished me a happy birthday as well, which prompted the rest of my family here to wish me a happy birthday.

The rest of the day was low key. Church for 2+ hours in the AM & 1.5+ in the PM. Lunch, hanging with the niece, etc. Cake for lunch (& I suck at blowing out candles anymore). Late supper & sugar crashing after church. Followed by reading & everyone heading to bed at 9.

So yeah, I feel a bit ungrateful, but the day just didn’t feel ‘wow’ to me. Didn’t feel like much of a moment to celebrate me. Mostly here the focus is on the niece, as it should be. She’s got parent’s who love her, grandparents who adore here & an uncle (me) who’s pretty impressed by the crazy little kid. Honestly, the highlights of the day was seeing that my niece is growing in a community where she is loved deeply & to hear a guy praise my brother for how good, wise, faithful & kind a man that he is.

But yeah, there are moments where I wish I really did stuff to celebrate my life. I don’t know what they’d be – I think I keep looking for some ‘it’s a wonderful life’ moment that explains all the reasons I’m here & shows that my life has made some kind of positive impact on the planet &, more importantly, those I love around me. In reality though, I get really awkward & uncomfortable when people start to talk about me – especially when they’re saying good things about me.

I had a lovely early-birthday supper on Friday night with my wonderful friend Sharon, but even there she had to convince me (though it didn’t take much convincing) that I should let her do something nice for me instead of me trying to turn the evening into something more for her (which is what I would’ve done left to my own devices).

So yeah, kind of mopey & whiny (wingeing – love that word!) right now. Not much, but enough to be in sort of a pity-party mood. Kari’s mom used to always try to tell me I needed to do something nice for myself sometimes & I sort of never knew what to do with that. I have all my introvert stuff that I sneak off & do & that’s OK, but yeah, it’s amazing that I have trouble defining sometimes what I ‘like’…. Perhaps a lot of it stems from the reality that the deepest sense of joy I experience comes in seeing the people I love really walk into the fullness of who they are; seeing that light bulb turn on & their eyes flashing when they realize just how beautiful their life is & how amazing they are….

…and yeah, I sometimes get moments like that for myself, too…. But I think they get lost sometimes in pursuing that for others… who knows.

Anyhow, enough winge-ing for one day…. Will try to be more celebratory tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Charis said...

Happy belated b-day! Oh, as the years slip by (so dramatic I know)
kari

March 31, 2006 at 3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home