Saturday, January 27, 2007

P.S.

Sometime after the post last night, I remembered that I'd told God a few weeks back that He could take the reins of my emotions. At the time I wasn't quite so confident that I knew what I was doing with my emotions & so i figured I'd do the experiment of handing the emotions over to Him to see what He'd do with them....

... it's funny how that we (or at least I) always assume that when we surrender something to God that He will then take on on a safe & even path, always, ever upwards on this constantly improving road to the pinnacles of glory. We/I forget that no where in the Bible or life or anything does God promise to be safe, or to really even give us safety. He promises to protect, shelter, love us, but this may not be the same as our naive concepts of safety.

And so my emotional state fluctuates wildly over the last number of weeks. I find myself very 'in the moment' with what I'm experiencing. And in this, the 'sane' part of me freaks out 'cause I've been told somewhere that people shouldn't go up & down like this unless there's some kind of imbalance. But now that I think about it again, if I somehow believe that God took me at my word in giving Him the reins/control, then maybe living in the moment, experiencing the full weight of whatever emotional response to the moment that there is, maybe this is exactly where I need to be....

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

God and emotions, always a dangerous combination!
I remember, shortly after my depression was healed, someone praying (without even understanding the significance of what they were saying, of how well they were hearing God) that I would have "real" emotions.

Well, over a year later, and they're still coming. I feel EVERYTHING deeply. Very much in the moment, and in all the other times too. I cracked up through a spurt of tears this morning as I explained that to someone at church who'd asked me a question with pain attached, and the requisite immediate well of emotion. I had to laugh - everything makes me cry these days, and everything makes me laugh. The emotions are all over the place, and it still blows my mind that I have them at all. After five years of nothing but painful numbness, I almost don't mind the wackyness of insta-tears, and insta-laughter!

Keep writing, Kirk, I'm enjoying sharing this part of your journey by reading.

January 28, 2007 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger Kirk Holloway said...

Thanks so much for this, Lisa. You have no idea how healing it is to hear you say that (see the latest post).

January 30, 2007 at 6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home