Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Grand Inquisitor: Essential Parable for our times

I keep recommending this story to people. Few read it 'cause it's long & not easy to understand.... It's one of the true-er & most terrifying stories I've read & it explains so much of the history of the church (& government) over the last number of centuries.... It's the parable of the Grand Inquisitor in the Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. You can find it online here:

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/dostoevsky/karamozov/formats/karamozov.txt

Search for "The Grand Inquisitor" & you'll find the section I'm talking about.

This is such a relevant topic for our time, or any time, & shows one more example of how & why we've traded off freedom for safety... & given up choice, responsibility, growth, being our own people, for the sake of being happy & contented...

The passage terrifies me & mostly makes me wonder how much I'm part of the problem instead of part of the solution, part of the disease instead of part of the cure....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home