Sunday, March 11, 2007

Stranger than Fiction

Have had another couple of very quiet days. Yesterday (Friday) was 'quiet' 'cause I spent a chunk of it in a sedated state.... went to the dentist to get a couple of teeth turned into crowns (well, the teeth get turned to stubs & then they put the crowns on top... right now they're rough, funny tasting plasticky bits masquerading as teeth...both of them drive my tongue crazy as it, over & over again, is drawn to investigate these new occupants of my mouth....) Did the sedation dentistry thing, so I was right out (well, cept for the wild dentist-like dreams - the frantic part of me trying to tell them I'm more awake than i should be & feeling things in my mouth & being asked to 'bite down!!' on things....) . My wonderful friend Sharon went above & beyond the call of duty in babysitting me & making sure I was looked after & wasn't going to fall over or injure myself from feeling woozy from the after effects of the medication. It was nice to be looked after, though I'm not very good at it. She had to tell me to sit down a number of times instead of me getting up to get something or serve in some way....

Sharon woke me up at 4PM, the 'operation' ended at around 12:30 & I'd slept pretty much from then on. The rest of the day was spent chatting & watching movies & nibbling on food...

Today was another extra quiet day. Kept life still to just rest & to ensure the after effects had fully worn off before venturing out. Ended up not venturing out much at all... spent a quiet day watching a movie, fiddling with G.I. Joe figures & taking a long bath... Only ventured out to the airport to share a quick (er) supper with my wonderful friend Rachel & to enjoy rich conversation with her & then back to my hidey hole to watch 'Syriana' (which I didn't understand at first & then didn't want to understand at the end - freaky movie - really good, but freaky)....

And yeah, the other common thread from the last two days - other than rest & quiet, valued friends & watching movies, was watching the movie 'Stranger than Fiction'. Watched it on Friday night with Sharon & then watched it again tonight 'cause I'd promised David I'd watch it with him. I really value this movie & wanted to share it with both Sharon & David & yeah, you can tell a rich movie when you watch it two nights in a row & you're still on the edge of your seat in breathless anticipation & still moved by a story that grows ever more complex the more I watch it....

... but yeah, am inspired by the movie, both last night & tonight, to bake... Was planning to bake cookies today, but Sharon's planning to come 'round again tomorrow night & so figured I'd save the fresh from the oven cookie experience to be shared with a wonderful friend. It's been a long, long time since I've made cookies.... I'm thinking about the old family recipes - oatmeal chocolate chip & spice cookies - these are the cookies I most remember from childhood. I remember many a time helping mom make these & then later making them more independently... the way you mixed ingredients & shaped & formed the dough into balls (& the way a lot of the dough was 'sampled' before it could get made into a cookie).... my mouth waters remembering the feel of fresh from the oven cookies - the warmth & gooey goodness as they melt against your tongue...

....so it's my sole goal tomorrow to bake cookies. Two double batches of cookies... I'm not sure of why, or if there's ramifications... maybe it's just one of those obsessive compulsive moments that I get into... or maybe just one more creative thing... something to connect past to present... celebrations of simple things... or, as hinted by the movie, maybe it's just one more of those everyday things that is there to save our lives....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home