Saturday, November 19, 2005

Fools & Tears

Watched the movie 'Jarhead' tonight. It's been calling out to me for a while now & I finally got the change to steal away & see it.

Hard movie to watch. Paints a fairly bleak, though likely realistic, picture of being part of the military today. hard to watch all the destruction & depravity on both sides...and yeah, makes me think that I've really got to do my part to make sure the stuff we build at work works well for the men & women in the field who are using this stuff to try to stay alive...

...in the theater, I was seated in front of some loud & obnoxious people - seemed like a whole family of them - they were chatting throughout the entire movie, occasionally providing loud commentary to the rest of the audience & one of the younger girls in the group was trying out her burping noises. Pretty frustrating to have to let their noise compete with the sound of the film & a story I was sort of engrossed in, but yeah....

...towards the end, in one of the serious parts, the loudest of the family announces to the rest of the theater, "I just have something I want to say to all of you people. You're free to go home now. You have to remember that you're free.... go home & hug your wives or something"...

Bizarre statements in the middle of the movie... sometimes it's good to listen to the crazies... you never know whether someone is a holy fool, speaking riddles & mysteries of truth, or if they're just a fool....

...walking out of the theater, I could feel the earth crying & was overwhelmed with the sorrow of a world that is depraved & dark & where we kill & be killed.... I'm not so sure the loud guy at the theater was right.... I sure don't feel free, here in our land of opportunity, our land without war, our land where we drown our ambitions on avarice & numb our dreams with a plethora of pleasures.... the part about going home to hug your wife sounded like a good idea, but yeah... I know we're made to be free... but I'm not so sure we are....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home